Imagine having a pet that also works as decor for your living space. That’s exactly what you get with the BioGlo Bioluminescent Aquarium. The hourglass aquarium contains hundreds of tiny bioluminescent microbes called dinoflagellates (dinos for short). These microbes are built just like solar panels – they absorb light energy from the sun during the day. When shaken at night time, they emit a beautiful blue light.
All You Should Know About the BioGlo Bioluminescent Aquarium
- The BioGlo Bioluminescent Aquarium is a living pet that uses naturally occurring bioluminescence to glow at night.
- The hourglass shaped aquarium is made from durable, impact-resistant plastic. The transparent aquarium is designed to maximise visibility of the light emitted by the dinos.
- The product is delivered in two phases. Because the dinos are living things that need light to survive, they cannot be shipped at the same time with the aquarium. However, once your BioGlo shipment gets to you, there will be a redemption coupon that you’ll use to rush order your dinos at no additional cost.
- The product package contains the BioGlo aquarium, your dino redemption card, nutrients, and sample experiment guidelines.
- When the dinos are delivered, they will be delivered with special food called “Growth Medium”. This is basically a mix of sea salts, vitamins and other inorganic nutrients for your dinos. You are supposed to feed the dinos at least once in every three weeks. This initial supply of the growth medium (which is about one liter) should last at least six months.
- A single dino will typically live for about 5 days after which it will continue to divide indefinitely. With the sample experiment guidelines provided in the product kit, you can have fun exploring the effects of fertilizers on ocean life and experimenting with the growth patterns of your dinos.
- At just 1.13 pounds, the BioGlo aquarium is extremely lightweight and can be easily moved between rooms.
- The BioGlo has three main modes: the bubble mode, the streak mode and the whirl mode.
The dinos might take a while to glow after you receive them. They have a natural absorb and glow rhythm and will take a while to adjust to your system.
Also, If you’re tired of the BioGlo and you need to get rid of them, simply disposing them to the environment should be your last option. Before exploring that option, you could gift them to someone or donate them to your local wildlife center.